Clute, Audrey T.
January 16, 1923 - October 1, 1996

Audrey Clute was a beloved member of the Fellowship. She had worked for Ivy’s Department Store and knew women’s fashion as evidenced by her own personal wardrobe. This knowledge led her to purpose that the Fellowship begin a re-sale shop, focusing on women’s fashions. This was during the early years (1994-95) of the Fellowship’s occupying the State Road property. Audrey purchased some used clothing racks and donated her own clothing to the first shop. Unfortunately, her illness and subsequent death in 1996 prevented her from seeing the shop grow from a small shop focusing on women’s fashion to the bustling full-service thrift shop it is today. Thanks to Audrey’s vision, Audrey’s Closet, is a true financial asset not only providing funds for the Fellowship but donating clothing and household goods to individuals and organizations in the Greenville community.

Audrey was born in New York and married Grant Marvin Clute in who died in 1984. During WWII, Audrey became a “Rose the Riveter” by working in defense plants in the New York area. Later she and her husband moved to Charlotte, NC where they lived until his death.

Audrey was buried in Forest Lawn West Cemetery in Charlotte, North Carolina, near her husband, Grant.