It is once again time to open our hearts and our doors to local homeless families, as we support the Interfaith Hospitality Network (formerly GAIHN) by providing shelter and food in our Fellowship from July 15 — 22.
IHN is a wonderful program supporting families as they work to move from dependency to self-sufficiency, and they rely on a network of about 14 local churches, synagogues, fellowships, and interfaith volunteers to make this program happen. It definitely takes a village, and we hope you as an individual, or as part of a group or family effort, can help provide our signature GUUF hospitality to our community in need. We are looking for 65 volunteers to make IHN happen at GUUF, and we can’t make that happen without YOU!
To sign up, please go to the website listed below. Copy and paste or click on the link. Check the “Sign Up” button next to the date/time and role(s) you can help with, and then click the “Submit and Sign Up” button at the bottom of the page. It will prompt you to fill out your name, email, and phone number. Only your name and any comments you leave on the site will be seen publicly.
If you have any trouble, please contact Megan CurrierCasavant at 802-345-5794 and she will assist. Once you have volunteered you will receive a confirmation email from Sign-Up Genius, plus an email reminder when your shift is coming up.
You will also receive a direct communication later on from us with our sensitivity guidelines, headcount and age range of children expected, and further contact information for the week’s coordinator.
Here are the job descriptions. Select the task that best fits your area of expertise:
- Trailer Pick-Up: This takes place on Sunday, July 15 only. Pick up the loaded trailer and bring it to the UU.
- Unloading & Room Prep: This takes place on Sunday, July 15 only. Volunteers unload the IHN Trailer, set up rooms and make beds. This occurs right after service.
- Dinner: One volunteer/group is needed per evening to prepare dinner for the families. Duties include: preparing dinner, making sure the table is set, helping to serve and cleaning the kitchen afterwards. This is a two hour commitment from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
- Entertainment: One volunteer/group is needed per evening to assist with entertaining the children after dinner. This is a great time to read to the kids, color, or play games with them. It’s also a great spot for multiple people or a family to volunteer. There is also extra time on Saturday, July 21 for additional Entertainment volunteers. You will receive an email a few days prior to your shift, giving you specifics on how many children we will host and their ages.
- Overnight Host: Two volunteers are needed per evening to stay at the Fellowship and be on call for our guests. Volunteers will have their own room. The shift begins at 8:00 pm and ends by 7:30 am
- Saturday Breakfast: One or more volunteers are needed to be there for 2 hours to relieve our overnight volunteers, be there for our families if they need anything, and help with breakfast, if desired.
- Laundry: Sheets and towels used by guests and volunteers can be picked up on Sunday, July 22 and will need to be washed and returned to the UU by the end of the following week.
- Trailer Loading & Clean-up Crew: We need a minimum of five volunteers to pack up the trailer and return the Fellowship classrooms to their original states. This involves loading beds and family possessions onto the IHN trailer, resetting the GUUF rooms, gathering laundry, and cleaning common areas.
For questions about the program, please contact the Social Responsibility Chair: Chris Corry at 864-361-8777. For questions about your shift, or to cancel your shift, please call the Week’s Coordinator: Francine Proulx at 864-395-8360.
We appreciate all of you immensely and look forward to working with you—GUUF Social Responsibility Committee